Initial release : April 1975
Round Records RX 106
Experimental electronics. Garcia, Hart and Lesh contributed to the album. Similar music with Lagin involved formed part of some Dead shows in 1974.
- Ned Lagin - piano, clavichord, organ, prepared piano, percussion, synthesizers, computers
- David Crosby - guitar, voice
- Spencer Dryden - percussion
- David Freiberg - voice
- Jerry Garcia - guitar, voice
- Mickey Hart - percussion
- Phil Lesh - bass
- Grace Slick - voice
- Written & arranged by Ned Lagin
- Engineers - Betty Cantor, Bob Matthews, Bill Wolf
- Cover Art - Ruth Poland
- Computers/software - Ned Lagin, Scott Wedge
- Mastering - Artisan Sound recorders
- Produced by Ned Lagin
- Photography - Sal Busalacchi, Ned Lagin
- Recorded at Rolling Thunder Studios, Ace's Studio, MIT Architecture Machine Group, Brandeis University Electronic Music Studio
- Mixed-down at His Master's Wheels Studios - discrete 4 channel quad
Seastones was recorded during February 1975.
Lagin joined the Dead for a number of shows in 1974 playing similar electronic improvisations, sometimes with members of the Dead, at the start of the second set. These segments are usually included on set lists as Seastones or Phil & ned. A number of other 'Seastones' performances also took place in 1974 and 1975.
The original Seastones was included on an extended version CD released in 1991 (See below for more details).
A rough mix, 'basic structure' of Seastones was included on;
An extended Seastones CD comprising the original Seastones plus a slightly shorter, previously unreleased version was issued in 1991;
A limited edition vinyl release that included both previously released and previously unreleased sections of the studio recordings was released in 2020;
One of the Phil & Ned sections from a Grateful Dead show has been released on CD;
- Sampler For Deadheads (EP 3 of 3), Robert Hunter / Ned Lagin and Phil Lesh, 1975, Round Records SMP 03
|Buy the extended CD version from amazon.com|