Grateful DeadInitial release : July 27, 1977
The first Grateful Dead album on the Arista label.
Bonus tracks on CD version released in the Beyond Description box set in 2004 and as a separate CD in 2006;
- Estimated Prophet (Weir/Barlow)
- Dancin' In The Streets (Stevenson/Gaye/I. Hunter)
- Passenger (Lesh/Monk)
- Samson and Delilah (Traditional arr. Bob Weir)
- Sunrise (D. Godchaux)
- Terrapin Station:
- Lady With A Fan (Garcia/Hunter)
- Terrapin Station (Garcia/Hunter)
- Terrapin (Garcia/Hunter)
- Terrapin Transit (Hart/Kreutzmann)
- At A Siding (Hart/Hunter)
- Terrapin Flyer (Hart/Kreutzmann)
- Refrain (Garcia)
- Peggy-O (Traditional) - Instrumental studio outtake, 11/2/76
- The Ascent (Grateful Dead) - Instrumental studio outtake, 11/2/76
- Catfish John (McDill / Reynolds) - Studio outtake, Fall 1976
- Equinox (Lesh) - Studio outtake, 2/17/77
- Fire On The Mountain (Hart / Hunter) - Studio outtake, Feb 1977
- Dancin' In The Streets (Stevenson / Gaye / I. Hunter) - Live, 5/8/77
- Bob Weir - guitar, vocals
- Phil Lesh - bass, vocals
- Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals
- Donna Godchaux - vocals
- Keith Godchaux - keyboards
- Bill Kreutzmann - drums
- Mickey Hart - drums
- Paul Buckmaster - orchestral arrangments
- The Martyn Ford Orchestra (conducted by Martyn Ford)
- The English Choral (conducted by Robert Howes)
- Tom Scott - lyricon, saxophones (on Estimated Prophet)
- Producer - Keith Olsen for Pogologo Productions
- Engineer - Keith Olsen, David DeVore
- Cover Art - Kelly/Mouse Studio
- Art coordination - Mary Ann Mayer
- Recorded and mixed at Sound City, Van Nuys, CA, 2/77 - 6/77
- Additional recording at Automated Sound Studios, New York City; AIR London, Trident, Abbey Road, London, 5/77
- Mastered by Rick Collins at Kendun Recorders
- Re-mastering - Greg Fulginiti at Artisan Sound Recorders
The recording of Terrapin Station was the first time since the early recording stages of Anthem Of The Sun in 1967 that the Dead had used an outside producer to assist in the studio.
The selection of Keith Olsen can be seen as an attempt to produce a more commercial album. In an interview Garcia described working with him in a positive light;
He has a really excellent ear and he's worked really well with us ... The performances are really amazing, much better than we're able to flog out of ourselves when we're in there producing ourselves.
The album was criticised though for overproduction, particularly the chorus and orchestra on the Terrapin Station side of the LP. In later years the group themselves joined in this criticism.
Two singles were released in conjunction with this LP;
An audiophile pressing was released in 1980, Direct Disk SD-16619.
Released on CD in 1986, Arista ARCD-8065.
A remastered, expanded version of Terrapin Station was included in the box set;
This remastered, expanded version was released as a single CD in 2006.
The Terrapin Station CD release was included in;
Estimated Prophet, Passenger, Samson and Delilah and Terrapin Station were included on;
Estimated Prophet was included on;
Terrapin Station (or more likely a part of it) is included on;
Terrapin Flyer is included on;
|Buy expanded CD from amazon.com|
Buy regular CD from amazon.com
Japanese card sleeve