Greenpeace - Breakthrough
Various ArtistsInitial release : 1988
A double LP compilation released in the USSR. It was subsequently issued on a variety of labels worldwide as Greenpeace - Rainbow Warriors. It includes Throwing Stones from the Grateful Dead album In The Dark and Look Out Any Window from the Bruce Hornsby and the Range album Scenes From The Southside.
Tracks / Musicians
All information on the sleeve of this release is in Russian. Fortunately photos of the performers are provided. There are less tracks on this release than on the Rainbow Warriors release. The contents appear to be as follows;
- Pride (In The Name Of Love) - U2
- Heaven Is A Place On Earth - Belinda Carlisle
- Love Is The Seventh Wave - Sting
- Set Them Free - Aswad
- Ship Of Fools - World Party
- Don't Stop The Dance - Bryan Ferry
- When Tomorrow Comes - Eurythmics
- Middle Of The Road - Pretenders
- Throwing Stones - Grateful Dead
- This Time - INXS
- Lay Your Hands On Me - Thompson Twins
- City Of Dreams - Talking Heads
- Waterfront - Simple Minds
- The Whole Of The Moon - The Waterboys
- It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M.
- You're The Voice - John Farnham
- Somebody - Bryan Adams
- Miles Away - Basia
Throwing Stones is taken from the Grateful Dead album In The Dark. The Grateful Dead during the recording of this album were;
- Red Rain - Peter Gabriel
- Look Out Any Window - Bruce Hornsby
- Let's Go Forward - Terence Trent D'Arby
- Wholly Humble Heart - Martin Stephenson And The Dainties
- I Will Be Your Friend - Sade
- We Are The People - John Cougar Mellencamp
- Why Worry - Dire Straits
Look Out Any Window is taken from Bruce Hornsby's Scenes From The Southside. The musicians on that release were;
- Jerry Garcia - guitar, vocals
- Mickey Hart - drums
- Bill Kreutzmann - drums
- Phil Lesh - bass
- Brent Mydland - keyboards, vocals
- Bob Weir - guitar, vocals
- Bruce Hornsby - piano, accordion, synthesizer, vocals
- George Marinelli, Jr - guitar, mandolin, vocals
- Peter Harris - guitar, mandolin
- Joe Puerta - bass, vocals
- John Molo - drums
All credits are in Russian. The set includes a booklet.
See the discography entry for Greenpeace - Rainbow Warriors for further information.
This was the original release of the Greenpeace compilation. It supposedly sold 500,000 copies in the USSR on the day of it's release. Eventually USSR sales reached 3 million copies.
Subsequently released world-wide on a variety of labels. According to Greenpeace world-wide sales had raised more than 8 million dollars by 1998.
Profits from the sale of the album have been used to fund Greenpeace campaigns and infrastructure.
All the artists involved donated their music to Greenpeace.
This compilation was subsequently released, with two additional tracks, world wide as;
The CD release of this compilation included four further additional tracks.
Throwing Stones is taken from;
Look Out Any Window is taken from;
Greenpeace formed their own record label in 1992 and released;
- Alternative NRG, Various Artists, Greenpeace
|Buy from amazon.com|