The 7th Note, San FranciscoThe 7th Note was a 1990's jazz club based at 901 Columbus Avenue. The building on Columbus Avenue was completed in 1923 and was originally a nightclub called the Lido Lounge. In the 1940's and 1950's the venue was a dance and jazz club called The Italian Village, subsequently shortened to The Village. In the early 1980's the building was the brief base for the relocated Boarding House. Subsequently in the 1980's it became Bal Tabarin and then Wolfgang's. After Wolfgang's closed due to a fire in 1987 the club reopened in 1990 as the 7th Note. In 2003 it became Cobb's Comedy Club.
12 Galaxies, San Francisco12 Galaxies, at 2565 Mission St in San Francisco, was a music venue between 2003 and 2008.
21 Grand, Oakland21 Grand was a multi-disciplinary arts space located at 416 25th Street in Oakland.
40 Cedar Alley / Cedar Alley Coffee House, San Francisco
The coffee house at 40 Cedar Alley was a folk venue during the middle years of the 1960s. The coffee house was located in the Cedar Alley Cinema. David Grisman performed there before 1965. The PH Phactor Jug Band were regulars in 1966 and 1967. The venue probably operated into the early 1970's.
509 Cultural Center, San FranciscoThe 509 Cultural Center is based at 509 Ellis Street in San Francisco. It is part of the Luggage Store Gallery.
924 Gilman Street, BerkeleyThis punk rock venue in Berkeley, known only by it's address, has been open since the mid-1980's.
The Albatross, BerkeleyThe Albatross is a Berkeley pub located at 1822 San Pablo Avenue. From the mid-1960's onward the Albatross has been a music venue featuring jazz, folk, bluegrass, and world music. The Albatross is still open. For more information see The Albatross website.
Ali Akbar College Of Music, San RafaelThe Ali Akbar College Of Music was setup in Berkeley in 1967 and moved to San Rafael in 1968. The college is based at 215 West End Avenue in San Rafael.
The Ark, SausalitoThe Ark was a converted ferry boat (originally the S.S. Charles Van Damme) located at Gate 6 in Sausalito. The venue was used for many informal shows and battle of the band contests in the second half of the 1960's.
Avalon Ballroom, San FranciscoThe Avalon Ballroom at 1268 Sutter Street was built in 1911 and originally called the Puckett Academy of Dance. The building was used a rock venue between 1966 and 1968 primarily by the Family Dog under the direction of Chet Helms. Complaints against noise led to the venue losing its performance licence early in 1969. The building was converted into a movie theater in the 1970's.
Babylon was a rock/blues/folk venue located at 2504 San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley. The club existed for a relatively short period at the end of the 1960's into the early 1970's. The building was home to a number of music venues over the years. Babylon was preceded by the Cabale Creamery, Questing Beast and Tito's among others. When Babylon closed the venue became the Longbranch.
Balconades Ballroom, San JoseThe Balconades Ballroom was located on the upper floor of the Lyndon Building at Santa Clara and Terraine streets in San Jose. In the 1940's and 1950's the ballroom was the venue for big bands and country shows. In the late 1960's some Bay Area rock bands performed in the ballroom. Since that time the ballroom space has been used by a restaurant and more recently has been the venue for the Club Miami.
Basin Street WestBasin Street West, a North Beach jazz and soul club, was located at 401 Broadway. The club opened in 1964 and closed in 1973.
BeanbendersBeanbender's Creative Music Series performed primarily at two venue. From 1995 to 1999 Beanbender's was housed in The Berkeley Store Gallery Annex. From 1999 to 2004 Beanbender's was located at The Berkeley Fine Arts Cinema on Shattuck in Berkeley.
Bear's Lair, University of California, BerkeleyThe Bear's Lair opened in the Student Union building on Lower Sproul Plaza in the early 1960's. The Bear's Lair was regularly used as a music venue during the second half of the 1960's.
Berkeley Art Museum (BAMPFA)Berkeley Art Museum (University of California, Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive) was based on Bancroft Way in Berkeley from 1970 to 2016. Since 2016 it has been based in a new building on Center Street in Berkeley in 2016.
Berkeley Community TheaterThe Berkeley Community Theater facing Allston Way on the Berkeley High School Campus was designed in 1938 and forms, with the Florence Schwimley Little Theater, a shop and a group of science buildings, one of the few planned groups of Art Deco style buildings in the Bay Area. The building was used on occasion for concerts and musicals up until the early 1970's. At this time it became more regularly used as a rock venue.
Berkeley Folk FestivalThe Berkeley Folk Festival took place at a number of venues on the university campus in Berkeley from 1958 though to possibly the early 1970's.
Berkeley SquareBerkeley Square was a music club located at 1333 University Avenue in Berkeley which existed from the 1970's to the 1990's. The building has subsequently been demolished.
Bermuda Palms / Litchfield's Bermuda Palms, San RafaelBermuda Palms (sometimes referred to as Litchfield's Bermuda Palms) was a resort complex on Francisco Boulevard in San Rafael. The site housed a motel, ballroom and other buildings. This was a regular venue for Bay Area musicians in the late sixties and early seventies. Sons of Champlin played there in 1967, Big Brother in 1969, Hot Tuna in 1972 and Country Joe in 1973. The original buildings have been demolished and the site is now a motel.
Berryessa Bowl, Lake Berryessa
The Berryessa Bowl was an outdoor venue in Lake Berryessa in the Napa Valley. During the summer months in the second half of the 1960s many local and national groups appeared at the venue.
Big Al's Gas House, Redwood City
The Warlocks played at a teen spot called Big Al's Gas House in Redwood City in August 1965, a couple of months before changing their name to the Grateful Dead.
Big Beat, Palo Alto
The Big Beat nightclub in Palo Alto was the venue for the third Acid Test, held in December 1965.
Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco
The Civic Auditorium on Grove Street was built in 1914/15 for the Panama Pacific Exposition and was originally called the Exposition Hall. It has been used over the years for political conventions, award ceremonies and many musical events. In 1992 the building which was then called the San Francisco Civic Auditorium was renamed the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium.
Bimbo's 365 Club.Agostino "Bimbo" Giuntoli and Monk Young opened the 365 Club, at 365 Market Street in San Francisco, in 1931. By the time the club relocated to 1025 Columbus Avenue in 1951 it was one of the leading nightclubs in the city. Old & In The Way, the Rowan Brothers and Big Brother & The Holding Company performed at the club in the early 1970's. During much of the 1970's and 1980's the club was closed and used only occasionally for private events and by other promoters. The club reopened in 1988. For more information see the Bimbo's 365 Club website.
Blackhawk.The Blackhawk, at 200 Hyde Street, opened in 1949 in a building that had previously been the Stork Club. The club built it's repuatation through the early 1950's and by the second half of the decade was one of the country's premier jazz clubs. The club closed in 1963. The building was demolished in the 1980's.
Blind Lemon, BerkeleyThe Blind Lemon, on San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley, was a folk club that was run by Rolf Cahn in the late 1950's. It was a venue for folk and folk/rock groups through to at least 1967.
Blue UnicornThe Blue Unicorn was a coffee house which opened in 1963 on Hayes Street in the Haight. Folk singers used to perform at the Blue Unicorn during the mid-sixties.
Boarding HouseBefore becoming the Boarding House in 1970 the building, at 960 Bush Street, had been the venue for a number of operations including the Fack's II, The Neve and The Cellar which were jazz clubs and The Troubadour North in the 1960's. The Boarding House was opened by David Allen and rapidly became one of the top 1970's rock nightclub in the city. In addition to a wide range of rock, country and folk performers the club also put on comedy shows. The club was forced to move from Bush Street in 1980 and the building was subsequently demolished. The Boarding House was located at 901 Columbus Avenue until it closed it's doors in 1982.
Both/And Club, San FranciscoThe Both/And was primarily a jazz and blues club which opened in 1965 at 350 Divisadero Street in San Francisco. The club closed in the mid 1970's.
Bottom Of The Hill, San FranciscoThe Bottom of the Hill ia a music venue and bar at 1233 17th St. in San Francisco. The venue first presented live music in 1991.
Broadway Studios NightclubThis venue is located at 435 Broadway in the North Beach area of San Francisco. The building was built in 1919 and was originally the Garibaldi Hall. During the 1940's the building housed the Italian Supper Club. Broadway Studios opened in 1993.
Brown's Hall, Mill ValleyBrown's Hall on Miller Avenue in Mill Valley was used as a music venue in the 1960's and early 1970's. The hall was built in in 1934 and was a center for community activities for nearly 40 years. These activities included music events.
Bruno's, San FranciscoBruno's is located at 2389 Mission Street in San Francisco
The Cabale (or Cabale Creamery) was a folk club located at 2504 San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley. The club which probably existed from 1963 to the Summer of 1965, was an important West Coast folk club which attracted performers from the Cambridge folk scene on the East Coast. Subsequently the building was home to the Questing Beast, Tito's and, in the 1970's, the Longbranch.
Café du Nord, San FranciscoThe Café Du Nord is a nightclub, restaurant and live music venue located in the Swedish-American building at 2170 Market Street in San Francisco. The Swedish American Hall was built in 1907 by Swedish craftsmen and has retained much of its Victorian interior.
California Hall, San FranciscoBuilt in 1912 and originally called Das Deutsches Haus. The building, at 625 Polk Street, was renamed California Hall at the outbreak of World War 1. The hall was used for some early Family Dog shows in 1965, the Grateful Dead played shows at the hall in 1966 and 1969. The venue was used for other rock shows in the sixties and seventies but was never a full time music venue. The building is now the California Culinary Academy.
Calliope Ballroom, San Francisco
The Calliope Ballroom was located at 924 Howard Street. The first benefit concert for the San Francisco Mime Troupe, organized by Bill Graham, was held in the hall.
Campolindo High School, Moraga
Campolindo High School in Moraga presented a number of music events in their gymnasium in 1969. There may have been other events in other years. The Grateful Dead played there in May 1969.
Carousel Ballroom, San FranciscoThis venue, in a building on Market Street and Van Ness Avenue, was known as El Patio during the 1930's and 1940's. Unsure when the Carousel Ballroom name was adopted. It was operated as a rock venue using the Carousel name for the first 6 months of 1968 by Ron Rakow and a partnership which included the Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Jefferson Airplane. Bill Graham took over the operation of the venue in July 1968 and renamed it the Fillmore West
Cedar Alley Coffee House / 40 Cedar Alley, San Francisco
The coffee house at 40 Cedar Alley was a folk venue during the middle years of the 1960s. The coffee house was located in the Cedar Alley Cinema. David Grisman performed there before 1965. The PH Phactor Jug Band were regulars in 1966 and 1967. The venue probably operated into the early 1970's.
Cellar / Jazz Cellar, San Francisco
The Cellar (also known as the Jazz Cellar) was a jazz club located at 576 Green Street in San Francisco.
Center for New Music and Audio Technologies (CNMAT), BerkeleyThe Center for New Music and Audio Technologies (CNMAT) is based at 1750 Arch Street in Berkeley.
Chi Chi Club, San FranciscoThe Chi-Chi Club is located in the the Chi-Chi Building at 438-440 Broadway in San Francisco. In the 1940's and 1950's this venue was successively home to the 440 Club, Mona's Club 440 and Anne's 440
Cinnamon A-Go-Go, Redwood City
The Warlocks possibly played at a club called Cinnamon A-Go-Go in Redwood City a couple of months before changing their name to the Grateful Dead.
Cinnamon Tree, San Carlos
The Warlocks played at the Cinnamon Tree, at 900 American Way in San Carlos, in August 1965. The venue was a "Teen club" which hosted many local bands and "Battle Of The Bands" events.
Circle Star Theater, San Carlos
The Circle Star Theater, on Industrial Road, San Carlos, was a major entertainment venue between 1964 and 1993. The venue, which was a theater in the round, opened on October 13, 1964 with a performance of My Fair Lady. Through the sixties the theater presented musicals and other events, including performances by some of the major Bay Area groups. Financially the venue was not successful, it failed twice before 1970. In 1971 the theater reopened with a rotating stage. The theater closed for the last time at the end of 1993. The unused building was damaged by fire in 1997 and subsequently demolished.
Club Hangover, San FranciscoClub Hangover, which opened in the late 1940's, was the premier tradiational jazz venue in San Francisco during the 1950's. The club at 729 Bush Street was run by Doc Dougherty. During the 1950's there were many radio broadcasts of concerts at Club Hangover. Subsequently a number of these have been released on CD, particularly on the Storyville label. Information about these recordings, by performers such as Kid Ory, George Lewis, Lee Collins and Earl Hines, may be added at a later date.
Club Jazz Nouveau, San FranciscoClub Jazz Nouveau is a jazz venue located at 2801 Leavenworth Street in the Cannery area of San Francisco.
The Coffee Gallery, San Francisco
The Coffee Gallery, at 1353 Grant Avenue, was primarily a jazz venue in the late 1950's and early 1960's. Some folk music performances were held in the 1960's including the debut shows of The Great Society. At some point in the 1960's the building was sold and the club became the Lost And Found Saloon.
Committee / Committee Theater, San Francisco
The Committe was a drama and comedy venue at 622 Broadway that opened toward the end of the fifties or early in the sixties. The Committee Theater was an off-shoot of the Committee and was based at 836 Montgomery Street. Both venues held music events in the second half of the 1960's.
Concord Coliseum opened in August 1967 in a building at 1825 Salvio Street in Concord that had formerly been a Purity store. Many national and international groups played at the venue during 1967 and 1968. The coliseum closed toward the end of 1968. The building has subsequently been used as an auction house and a store.
Concord Pavillion / Concord Jazz Festival.The Concord Pavillion on Kirker Pass Road in Concord was opened in 1975. It became the main venue for the Concord Jazz Festival which took place in 1968 using different venues. Bill Graham started to use the venue for rock shows in the mid 1980's.
Continental Ballroom, Santa Clara
The Continental Ballroom in Santa Clara hosted rock concerts in late 1966 and 1967. The Grateful Dead performed at the venue about half a dozen times between December 1966 and July 1967.
Cotati Cabaret, Cotati
The Cotati Cabaret was housed in a building on La Plaza in Cotati that was built 1910 and was originally the Ladies' Club Hall. The building was used for community events and meeting until 1977 or 1978 when the Cotati Club opened. Many Bay Area and national and international performers played at the venue between 1978 and the closing of the club in 1991. The building is now the home of the synagogue Ner Shalom.
Cow Palace, Daly City
The Cow Palace, which is located on the boundary between San Francisco and Daly City, was completed in 1941 and originally called California State Livestock Pavilion. As the name suggest the original intention was for the building to host livestock and rodeo events. Shortly after opening the building was handed over to the army for the duration of the war. In 1946 the building returned to its intended use and has continued to host sports events, a wide range of shows (dogs, flowers, boats, bikes, etc), circuses, political events and music. The Grateful Dead first used the Wall Of Sound sound system at the Cow Palace in 1974. More information at the Cow Palace web site.
Cowell Theater, San FranciscoThe Cowell Theater is located at Fort Mason Center, Pier 2 in San Francisco. The theater is a venue for dance, music, theater, film, lectures and corporate events.
The Cushing Memorial Theater / Mountain Theater / Mt. Tamalpais Amphitheatre, Mt. Tamalpais
The Cushing Memorial Theater, often referred to as The Mountain Theater or Mt. Tamalpais Amphitheatre, is on open air amphitheater on the slopes of Mt. Tamalpais. The theater was built in the 1930s and holds approximately 3,750 people.
Deaf Club, San FranciscoThe Deaf Club on Valencia Street was, for a brief 18 month period from the end of 1978 to the Summer of 1980, a punk rock club.
DeMarco's 23 Club, San Francisco
DeMarco's 23 Club is a country and western club located on Visitacion Avenue in Brisbane south of San Francisco. The club opened in 1941. In it's heyday in the fifties and sixties performers included Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Webb Pierce and Bob Wills.
Dream Bowl, Vallejo
The Dream Bowl (or Dream Bowl Ballroom) was on the Napa-Vallejo Highway about 10 miles north of Vallejo. In the 1940's the Dream Bowl was a ballroom and featured big bands. The Duke Ellington Orchestra played there in 1945. In the fifties the music was more country oriented. The Dream Bowl was used as a rock venue in the late 1960's. The Dream Bowl is possibly now a warehouse.
Drinking Gourd, San Francisco
The Drinking Gourd was a folk club based at 1898 Union Street in San Francisco. Uncertain of the dates the club existed. It was there in the early sixties and still operating in the early seventies. Jefferson Airplane got together after Marty Balin, who used to perform at the Drinking Gourd with the Town Criers, met Paul Kantner at the club in 1965. Signe Anderson also performed at the Drinking Gourd before joining Jefferson Airplane.
Edinburgh Castle, San FranciscoThe Edinburgh Castle, at 950 Geary in San Francisco, is a Scottish themed pub. The pub is the venue for many author readings and is home to the Scottish Cultural and Arts Foundation. The Edinburgh Castle also has DJ nights, ceilidhs and other music performances.
El Matador, San FranciscoEl Matador, at 492 Broadway, opened in 1953. For 10 years it was primarily a "piano jazz" club. The club change hands in 1963 but continued as a jazz club. El Matador closed in 1977.
Elite Club, San FranciscoIn the early 1980's the building, at 1805 Geary Street, that was formerly the Fillmore Auditorium was a rock club called the Elite Club. The Fillmore name was reinstated later in the decade.
Fairmount Hotel, San Francisco
Though currently called The Fairmont Hotel earlier references to the hotel refer to it as the Fairmount Hotel. The hotel is located at 950 Mason Street on Nob Hill in San Francisco. The building was constructed in 1906 but was damaged by the earthquake and fire before completion. The delayed opening of the hotel was in 1907. The hotel Venetian Room which opened in 1947 hosted many music events through to the 1980s. Performers who have appeared there include Tony Bennett, James Brown, Nat 'King' Cole, Vic Damone, Marlene Dietrich, Ella Fitzgerald and Tina Turner.
Family Dog On The Great Highway
After the Avalon lost its performance licence at the end of 1968 the Family Dog relocated its Bay Area performances to a building on Great Highway just north of Balboa Street. The building was possibly 660 The Great Highway. This building probably dated from the 1880's and over the years its activities had included a 1920's/1930's eatery (Topsy's Roost), a dance hall (the Surf Club) and an amusement race track. The Family Dog used this venue regularly for about a year between June 1969 and June 1970. The building has now been demolished.
Family Park, Santa Clara County Fairgrounds, San Jose
Family Park on the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds was used for a number of music events in the second half of the 1960's. Big Brother and The Holding Company, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Mother Earth, Ace of Cups and other groups played there in 1967. Country Joe & The Fish and the Doors in 1968. In 1969 it was the venue for the Northern California Folk-Rock Festival which featured the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Jefferson Airplane, Spirit, Chambers Brothers, Youngbloods, Chuck Berry And Muddy Waters.
Farallon East, Stinson Beach
Farallon East was a bar and restaurant on Highway 1 in Stinson Beach. The New Tweedy Brothers played at the Farallon East in 1968. The building has since been demolished.
Fillmore Auditorium, San FranciscoThe building that is now the Fillmore Auditorium was opened in 1912 as a dance hall named the Majestic Hall. In the 1940's the hall was a roller rink. In the 1950's the hall was a popular jazz, R & B and soul venue. Bill Graham first booked the Fillmore Auditorium for a San Francisco Mime Troupe benefit event in December 1965. Graham started booking regular events at the Fillmore in February 1966 and for the next two and half years ran the Fillmore which quickly became the premier venue for local and visiting rock bands. In July 1968 Bill Graham moved his operation to the Fillmore West and the building was briefly used for other music events. Subsequently the hall was not used during the 1970's. In the early 1980's the hall reopened as the Elite Club. In 1986 the Fillmore name was reinstated and, except for a 4 year break to repair earthquake damage, has since been used primarily as a rock venue.
Fillmore West, San FranciscoThis venue in a building on Market Street and Van Ness Avenue was known as El Patio during the 1930's and 1940's. At some point, probably in the 1960's, the venue became the Carousel Ballroom. It was operated as a rock venue using the Carousel name for the first 6 months of 1968 by Ron Rakow and a partnership which included the Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Jefferson Airplane. Bill Graham took over the operation of the venue in July 1968 and renamed it the Fillmore West. Graham ran the venue for 3 years closing it in July 1972 with a series of concerts that were recorded and filmed for the Fillmore: The Last Days album and movie.
Finnish Brotherhood Hall, Berkeley
The Finnish Brotherhood Hall, at 1970 Chestnut Street off University Avenue in Berkeley, was used as a rock and folk venue in the 1960s. Country Joe & The Fish, Loading Zone, John Fahey and other locally based groups performed at the venue.
The Firehouse, San Francisco
The Firehouse was a short lived club located at 3763 Sacramento Street in San Francisco, a building which had formerly housed fire engines. The club operated during the first few months of 1966 and presented shows by a number of the new bands of the time including; The Charlatans, Sopwith Camel, Big Brother and The Holding Company, The Alligator Clip and The Wildflower.
Fireside Club / Fireside Lounge, San Mateo
The Warlocks, a few months before becoming the Grateful Dead, played at a club called the Fireside Club or Fireside Lounge at 2322 El Camino Real in San Mateo in August 1965.
Freeborn Hall, University of California, Davis
Freeborn Hall is located at One Shields Avenue on the campus of University of California, Davis. The hall has been used regularly for music events. Big Brother & the Holding Company performed there in 1968, the Grateful Dead in 1971. Freeborn Hall was constructed in 1961, was named after Stanley Freeborn.
Freight & Salvage, BerkeleyThe Freight & Salvage opened as a coffee house in 1968 when Nancy Owens took on the lease of a furniture store at 1827 San Pablo Avenue. The business sign of the store was retained as the name of the coffee house. By the early 1970's the club was the focal point of the Berkeley folk music scene. In 1983 the club was incorporated as the Berkeley Society for the Preservation of Traditional Music. In 1988 the club moved to 1111 Addison Street where it is still located.
The Freight & Salvage Coffee House is a "nonprofit arts organization dedicated to promoting public awareness and understanding of traditional music". See the Freight & Salvage website for more information.
The Warlocks, a few months before becoming the Grateful Dead, played at Frenchy's in June 1965. The club was located at 29097 Mission Boulevard in Hayward. The same building was later El Paraiso Club.
Frost Amphitheater, Palo AltoThe Frost Amphitheater (or Laurence Frost Memorial Amphitheater) is situated on the corner of Campus Drive and Galvez St.on Stanford University Campus in Palo Alto. The Frost opened in 1937 and since then has hosted a wide variety of university and other events including many performances by Bay Area bands in the late 1960's and early 1970's. The Grateful played at the Frost in the 1980's.
Fugazi Hall, San FranciscoFugazi Hall, at 678 Green Street, was donated to the local community by John Fugazi, a local banker, in 1912. The hall is used for community events and meetings. Over the years it has also been a venue for poetry readings, comedy performances and music events. The upper floor of the building houses an exhibition of photographs portraying the history of the local Italian community.
Note that Fugazi Hall appears to have been used for "studio" as well as live recordings. Both categories are included below. Note also that Fugazi Hall has been used for comedy recordings but these fall outside the scope of this discography.
Gate Theater, Sausalito
The Gate Theater at 668 Bridgeway Avenue, Sausalito was used by the San Francisco Mime Troupe in 1965. Uncertain if it was used as a music venue in the sixties. The theater was opened, as the Princess Theatre, in 1915. It was renamed the Gate Theatre in the 1930's. It was used as a movie theater for most of existence.
The Generosity, San Francisco
The Generosity was located at 1981 Union Street in San Francisco. Merl Saunders group Aunt Monk had a regular gig there in the mid-1970's and Jerry Garcia sat in on at least one occasion. Other performers known to have played at the venue include Sundance, Alice Stuart, Clover, Mark Naftalin, Anna Rizzo, and Roadhog (probably before Robert Hunter played with the group). The building is currently a retail store.
Glide Memorial Church, San Francisco
Glide Memorial Church in San Francisco became a rallying point for the counter culture in the 1960's. The Glide Memorial Church was the venue for a number of events promoted by the Diggers including the Invisible Circus in February 1967. Since the 1960's Glide Church has continued to provide support services for the poor and disenfranchised. The church, at the intersection of Ellis and Taylor Streets, was built between 1929 and 1931 on land purchased by Lizzie Glide.
Golden Gate Park, San FranciscoA number of areas within Golden Gate Park have been used for music events through the years. The Human Be-In was held in the Polo Fields (Golden Gate Park Stadium) in 1967. For more information about the park and its current activities see the SF Recreation and Parks website.
Governor's Hall, Sacramento
Governor's Hall on the State Fairground was used for shows during the second half of the 1960's. The Grateful Dead performed at the venue in 1966.
Grace Cathedral, San FranciscoGrace Cathedral was consecrated in 1965. Duke Ellington first performed his Concert of Sacred Music during the consecration celebrations. Since then the cathedral has been used for secular as well as religious music performances and a number of live and "studio" recordings have been produced in the building.
Great American Music Hall, San FranciscoThe Great American Music Hall at 859 O'Farrell Street was built in 1907. For the first 25 years of its existence it was a restaurant and bordello named Blanco's. From 1936 through 1945 the buiding was home to the Music Box nighclub. The Blanco's name was revived in 1948 when the venue was reopened as a jazz club. In the following years the building was used as a Moose Lodge and a French restaurant. The building reopened in 1972 as the Great American Music Hall and has remained a music venue to the present day. The Grateful Dead performed only once at the venue in 1975, a show which was subsequently the first "From The Vault" release. Various Jerry Garcia bands performed at the GAMH. For more information about the venue and its current activities see the Great American Music Hall website.
Greek Theatre, BerkeleyThe Greek Theatre, on the University of California, Berkeley campus, was a gift to the university from William Randolph Hearst. The building was designed by John Galen Howard and completed in 1903. President Theodore Roosevelt presents the first commencement address in that year. Over the years it has been used for a wide range of university, political, dramatic, musical and other events. Jefferson Airplane performed at the Theater in 1967 but generally music events were infrequent until the 1980's.
Haight Theater, San Francisco
See Straight Theater
Harding Theater, San Francisco
The Harding Theater opened in 1926 at 616 Divisadero Street in San Francisco. It was originally part of the Samuel H. Levin chain of theatres and was used for vaudeville and movies. For much of the 1930 to 1960 period the theatre was used solely as movie theatre. During the 1960's the Harding was used as the Lamplighter's theatre. During the late 1960's and early 1970's the Harding Theater was a music venue. The Grateful Dead, Big Brother & The Holding Company and many others performed at the theatre during this period. Subsequently the building has been used as a community center and church.
Harmon Gymnasium, University of California, Berkeley
The original Harmon Gymnasium at the University of California, Berkeley was a wooden building built in 1878. This building was replaced in 1933 by a larger and safer building. This building was renovated in the 1990's and renamed the Haas Pavilion. The Grateful Dead, Butterfield Blues Band Jefferson Airplane and other groups performed at the venue in the 1960's.
Hearst Gymnasium, University of California, Berkeley
The Hearst Gymnasium For Women on the University of California Campus in Berkeley was opened in 1927. It's construction was funded by William Randolph Hearst and it was named for his mother, Mrs. Phoebe Apperson Hearst. During the second half of the 1960's, and probably at other times, the gymnasium was used as a music venue.
Hemlock TavernThe Hemlock Tavern is located at 1131 Polk Street in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco. The back room of the tavern is a music venue which presents a wide range of live shows and DJ events. For more information see the Hemlock Tavern website.
Henry J. Kaiser AuditoriumSee Oakland Auditorium
Herbst TheaterThe Herbst Theatre is located in the War Memorial Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco. The theater, which was originally the Veteran's Auditorium, was refurbished and reopened in 1977 as the Herbst Theater. The main auditorium is dominated by eight large, beaux-arts murals created by Frank Brangwyn for the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition. The United Nations Charter was signed on the stage of the auditorium on June 26, 1945. For further information about the Herbst Theater see the Herbst Theater web pages.
Hotel Utah SaloonThe Hotel Utah, at 500 Fourth Street, was built in 1908. The saloon has had a number of names over the years. The Utah name was adopted toward the end of the 1970's and at the same time a stage was built and the venue started to present music, comedy and readings. In recent years it has become well known for its open mic nights.
Hughes Stadium, Sacramento
Hughes Stadium is on the Sacramento City College campus at 3835 Freeport Boulevard, Sacramento. The stadium is used primarily for sports events but has hosted music events. It was the site for the Sacramento Pop Festival in 1967. Pink Floyd performed at the stadium in 1988.
hungry iThe hungry I was opened by Enrico Banducci in 1950 and moved to it's best known location, at 599 Jackson Street, in 1954. The club hosted many comedy and folk music shows before closing down in 1968.
I.D.E.S. Hall, Pescadero
The Grateful Dead and Quicksilver Messenger Service played at the I.D.E.S. Hall on Stage Road in Percadero in 1966. Uncertain if the hall was commonly used for rock music events in the sixties. The hall is still in use mainly as a venue for community events.
The In Room, San Francisco
The In Room was a bar in Belmont, south of San Francisco. The Grateful Dead, still called the Warlocks, played for approximately six weeks at the In Room in August/September 1965.
In Your Ear, Palo AltoIn Your Ear was a jazz club located at 135 University Avenue in Palo Alto which opened in 1971 and closed in 1972.
The Independent, San FranciscoThe Independent is a music venue based at 628 Divisadero in San Francisco. For more information about the venue see the The Independent website.
Inn Of The Beginning, Cotati
The Inn Of The Beginning, a bar at 8201 Old Redwood Highway in Cotati, was a rock and folk venue. It was opened in 1968 by Greg Cochrane in what had previously been an Italian restaurant. Cochrane sold the club in 1970 and, after a number of different owners, closed its doors in 1982. After closing the building was unused for a number of years but opened in the 1990's as a microberwery/acoustic music venue.
Intersection For The Arts, San FranciscoIntersection for the Arts, at 446 Valencia Street, was established in 1965 and is one of San Francisco's oldest alternative art spaces. Intersection present new and experimental works of literature, theater, music, dance and the visual arts. For more information about the venue see the Intersection For The Arts website.
The Italian Village / The Village, San FranciscoThe building that housed the Italian Village, at at 901 Columbus Avenue, was built in 1923 and was originally a nightclub called the Lido Lounge. The Italian Village, subsequently shortened to The Village, was a dance and jazz venue in the 1940's and 1950's. In the early 1980's the same building was the brief base for the relocated Boarding House. Subsequently in the 1980's it became Bal Tabarin and Wolfgang's. The latter closed after a fire in 1987. The 7th Note jazz club opened in the building in 1990 and in 2003 it became Cobb's Comedy Club.
The Jabberwock was a mid-sixties folk club located at 2901 Telegraph in Berkeley, a building that was formerly Tsubo's. The Jabberwock, which probably opened sometime in 1964, was by 1965 the premier club of its type in the area and was home venue for local groups such as Country Joe & The Fish and The Cleanliness and Godliness Skiffle Band, as well as a popular venue for touring performers. The Jabberwock closed in July 1967. The building has subsequently been demolished.
Jazz At Pearl's, San FranciscoJazz At Pearl's was a small jazz club located at 256 Columbus Avenue in San Francisco. The club opened in the late 1980's.
The Jazz House, BerkeleyThe Jazz House, which was located at 3192 Adeline in Berkeley, opened in 2003. From sometime in the 1990's to 2002 the building had been home to Tuva Space.
The Jazz School, BerkeleyThe Jazz School is located at 2087 Addison Street in Berkeley. The school is dedicated to the study and performance of jazz and related styles of music from around the world. The school, founded in 1997, is located in the Kress Building in the Downtown Berkeley Arts District.
Jazz Workshop, San FranciscoThe Jazz Workshop, at 473 Broadway in San Francisco, was a jazz club that operated from the late 1950's to the late 1960's. Many of the leading figures of modern jazz performed at the club especially after the closure of the Blackhawk in 1963.
Jimbo's Bop City, San FranciscoJimbo's Waffle Shop on Post Street in the Fillmore district was opened in 1950 by Jimbo Edwards. Through the 1950's a large room at the rear of the waffle shop was the most popular after-hours venue for jazz musicians to get together and play. Jimbo's closed in 1965. No recordings were made at Jimbo's but there is a documentary about the club Legend of Bop City which was directed by Carol Chamberland and released in 1998.
The Kabuki Theater at 1881 Post Street was opened 1960 as a dinner theater. It was a regular venue for musical events especially during the early 1980's. The building was sold in 1984 and is now a cineplex.
Keystone BerkeleyThe Keystone Berkeley opened in 1972 as the new premises for the club run by Freddie Herrera which had originally operated at the Keystone Korner. Before 1972 the bar at 2119 University Avenue in Berkeley had operated under a number of names and had occasionally been a rock venue. From 1972 to 1984 the Keystone was one of the Bay Areas premier small rock venues.
Keystone KornerThe Keystone Korner at 750 Vallejo Street opened in the late 1960's taking over from a bar/club which had operated in the same building. It became a rock venue in 1969 initially providing a weekly venue for Mike Bloomfield. It's popularity grew over the next couple of years at which time the owner, Freddie Herrera, took over a larger club in Berkeley which he named the Keystone Berkeley. The Keystone Korner was sold to Todd Barkan who turned it into a jazz club. It continued as one of the Bay Areas finest jazz venues until closing in 1983.
Keystone Palo AltoThe Keystone Palo Alto was located at 260 California Avenue in Palo Alto. The club opened in 1977 in a building that had previously housed a variety of supermarkets, a German restaurant, and in 1975/76 a venue called Sophie's. The Keystone was run by Freddie Herrera who also owned the Keystone Berkeley and The Stone in San Francisco. In the mid-1980's the Keystone closed and the building became The Vortex, and then at the end of the 1980's The Edge. The Edge closed in 2000 and the building subsequently became a restaurant before being demolished in 2013.
Kimball'sKimball's was a jazz club 300 Grove Street in San Francisco. The building now houses the Jardinière restaurant.
Kimball's EastKimball's East, a jazz venue at 5800 Shellmound Street in Emeryville, opened 1989.
Kimo'sKimo's is located at 1351 Polk Street in San Francisco.
Kings Beach Bowl, Lake Tahoe
Though quite a distance from the Bay Area the Kings Beach Bowl in Lake Tahoe hosted a number of shows by Bay Area bands in the second half of the 1960's. The King's Beach Bowl was originally a bowling alley. This was converted into a large hall in the mid-to-late sixties. There were performances several nights a week in the hall with visiting groups including the Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Country Joe and the Fish, Janis Joplin, Buffalo Springfield, Frank Zappa, Iron Butterfly, The Youngbloods and Quicksilver Messenger Service.
Koncepts Cultural GalleryKoncepts Cultural Gallery, founded in 1984 by by Edsel Matthews and Kimathe Asante, was originally located in Jenny Lind Hall on Telegraph Avenue in Oakland. The organisation subsequently moved to downtown Oakland toward the end of the 1980's.
Kuumbwa Jazz, Santa CruzKuumbwa Jazz is a non-profit jazz venue and education organization based at 320-2 Cedar Street in Santa Cruz. The Kuumbwa Jazz Society was founded in 1975 and after two years of fundraising and presenting events at a number of venues opened the Kuumbwa Jazz Center at 320 Cedar Street in 1977.
La Dolphine, Hillsborough
La Dolphine was not a music venue but a large mansion and estate in Hillsborough. The Grateful Dead played at a debutante dance at the house in September 1966. Big Brother & The Holding Company played at a debutante dance at the house in September 1967.
Lion's Share, San Anselmo
The Lion's Share opened at 60 Red Hill Avenue in San Anselmo in 1969 after the Lion's Share in Sausalito burned down. The Sons Of Champlin and Clover were regular performers at the San Anselmo club during the 1970's, as were many of the Marin County rock scene. Jerry Garcia, Van Morison and Jesse Colin Young also performed at the club.
Lion's Share, Sausalito
The original Lion's Share was a folk club in Sausalito from the mid to late 1960's. The club burned down toward the end of the sixties.
Little Theater, BerkeleyThe Little Theater, or Florence Schwimley Little Theater, is located at 1930 Allston Way in Berkeley. The theater is one of a group of buildings constructed on the Berkeley High School site at the end of the 1930's.
The Longshoremen's Hall, situated near Fishermen's Wharf in San Francisco was the meeting hall for the International Longshoremen's and Warehousemen's Union. It was one of the first Bay Area venues used by the newly evolving music and multi-media groups. It was the venue for the first Family Dog dances A Tribute to Dr. Strange and A Tribute to Sparkle Plenty in October 1965, and A Tribute to Ming The Merciless in November 1965. The Longshoremen's Hall was also the venue for The Trips Festival in January 1966.
Loser's South, San Jose
Loser's South on Almaden Road in San Jose was used as a rock venue in the 1960's. Van Morrison, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Jefferson Airplane and other Bay Area groups played at the venue.
Lost And Found Saloon, San Francisco
The Lost And Found Saloon, at 1353 Grant Avenue, is a bar and music venue that opened sometime in the 1960's or 1970's. Prior to the saloon opening the building housed The Coffee Gallery which was a venue for jazz and folk performances through the 1950's and 1960's.
Lou's Pier 47, San FranciscoLou's Pier 47 is a blues club and restaurant located at 300 Jefferson Street on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.
Luggage Store GalleryThe Luggage Store Gallery is based at 1007 Market Street in San Francisco. The venue hosts an experimental music series, the Luggage Store Gallery New Music Series, which first took place in 1991. For more information see the Luggage Store Gallery website.
Mabuhay GardensMabuhay Garden at 443 Broadway started presenting comedy, music and dance shows in the early 1970's. The club became the centre of the Bay Area punk rock scene during the second half of the 1970's.
McLaren ParkMcLaren Park is a 317-acre park in the south-east of San Francisco. The park is named after John McLaren, the superintendent of Golden Gate Park from 1887 to 1943. The amphitheater in McLaren Park is now known as the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater. The San Francisco Blues Festival was held in the park between 1975 and 1977. Recordings from the 1976 festival were released on San Francisco Blues Festival, Various Artists.
Magoo's Pizza Parlor, Menlo Park
Magoo's Pizza Parlor was located on Santa Cruz Avenue in Menlo Park. The Warlocks played some their earliest shows at this venue in May 1965, six months before becoming the Grateful Dead.
Mandrake's was located at 10th Street and University Avenue in Berkeley. The club opened, in what had been a pool hall, in late 1968 or early 1969. The main musical emphasis was on blues and jazz but rock groups did perform at the venue including Joy of Cooking, Commander Cody, Loading Zone, Grootna, Notes From The Underground, AB Skhy, Cleveland Wrecking Company and the Shades Of Joy. Some early New Riders Of The Purple Sage shows, with Jerry Garcia on pedal steel were played at the club in 1969. Mandrake's closed in 1974.
Maple Hall, San Pablo
Maple Hall is located in the City Hall complex on San Pablo Avenue in San Pablo. The hall has been used for public and private, business and social events for many years. The hall was the venue for shows by local groups in 1966 and 1967 including performances by Country Joe & The Fish, Harbinger Complex, The Purple Earthquake and the Just V.
Marines Memorial TheaterThe Marines Memorial Theater, sometimes referred to as the Marines Memorial Hall, is located at 450 Post Street. The building that houses the theater was built in 1924 for the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. The Post Street Theatre is housed in the same building.
Maritime HallThe Maritime Hall was a 3,000 capacity music venue and nightclub situated at 450 Harrison Street in the South of Market neighborhood of San Francisco. The club opened in 1995 and closed in 2001.
Masonic AuditoriumThe Masonic Auditorium, in the Masonic Center at 1111 California Street at the crest of Nob Hill, was opened in 1958. It has been a venue for music, lectures and commercial events since that time. The Nob Hill Masonic Center also houses the Masonic Museum and the Masonic Memorial Temple. For more information see the Masonic Audotorium website.
MatrixThe Matrix, at 3138 Fillmore, was converted from a Pizza Parlor to a music venue in August 1965 to provide a place for Jefferson Airplane to perform. They played their debut show there and it remained their home venue for at least a year. Many other groups performed at The Matrix over the next two years. The club closed in 1967, possibly only for a short period. The Matrix closed permanently in 1972.
Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento
The Sacramento Memorial Hall, at 1515 J Street, was built in the mid-1920. In the mid-late 1960's and early 1970's the hall was used by touring groups. The Rolling Stones, Cream, The Doors and other groups played at the venue. The Grateful Dead played at the auditorium twice in 1968.
Mo's Melody MansionMos Melody Mansion was a basement acoustic music venue located at 1745 Sutter Street in San Francisco.
Mocambo ClubThe Mocambo Club was a jazz club in Oakland during the 1950's.
Moe's Books, Berkeley
Moe's Books was a large book and record store run by Moe Moskowitz on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley. In the mid-1960's the venue hosted poetry and music events. Country Joe & The Fish, Notes From The Underground, Robbie Basho and others performed at the venue. Moe's Books is still open for business at 2476 Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley and online at Moe's Books.
Mother's, San Francisco
Mother's was a short lived club opened by Tom Donahue at 412 Broadway in the North Beach area of San Francisco in 1965. The club is now remembered as one of the first psychedelic clubs in the Bay Area.
Mountain Winery, SaratogaThe Mountain Winery, originally the Paul Masson Mountain Winery, is a concert venue located at 14831 Pierce Road in Saratoga. Until 1952 the building was part of the wine making operation started by Paul Masson at the start of the 20th century. The first music concerts were held at the venue in 1958 and it continues to be used for music and other events.
Mr. D's, San FranciscoMr. D's jazz and supper club opened in 1967 at 412 Broadway. The club existed for only a couple of years. Subsequently the venue was briefly a home for the Matrix in 1972. Later in the 1970's 412 Broadway was the Soul Train and during the 1980's The Stone.
Muir Beach Lodge/Muir Beach Resort
Muir Beach Lodge in Muir Beach, Marin County was the venue for a number of performances by Bay Area bands including one of the Acid Tests in December 1965. The Charlatans, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother, Sopwith Camel, Blue Cheer, Mad River, Serpent Power and many other local groups played at the venue.
Mystic Theatre, PetalumaThe Mystic Theatre, located at 23 Petaluma Boulevard North in Petaluma, was built in 1911.
New George's, San RafaelNew George's, on Fourth Street in San Rafael, was one of the major rock venues in Marin County during the 1980's and 1990's.
New Langton Arts Theater, San FranciscoNew Langton Arts, at 1246 Folsom Street in San Francisco, opened in 1975. The center was founded by a "coalition of artists, performers and arts professionals who sought to provide San Francisco with a center for research and experimentation in performance, visual arts, music, media arts, literature, and practices that cross these disciplines." The theater is a "versatile black box" that is used for variety of events including music performances.
New Monk, BerkeleyThe New Monk opened at 2119 University Avenue in Berkeley in 1968. It was a new location for a club that had been called The Monk. The new club was a rock venue. Sometime around the start of 1972 the club was bought by Freddie Herrera and it became Keystone Berkeley.
New Orleans House, BerkeleyNew Orleans House at 1505 San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley was opened in 1967 by Kitty Griffin. The club featured blues and rock performers. New Orleans House closed in the early 1970's.
Noe Valley Ministry, San FranciscoThe Noe Valley Ministry is a Presbyterian Church at 1021 Sanchez Street, San Francisco.
North Beach Revival, San Francisco
North Beach Revival opened in 1971 in a building at 1024 Kearny Street that has once housed the Off Broadway jazz club. The club subsequently became Morty's in the 1980's and Cocodrie from 1994 onwards. The long history of the building as a music venue came to an end when Cocodrie closed in 2000.
Nourse Auditorium, San Francisco
The Nourse Auditorium at 275 Hayes Street in San Francisco was used as a venue for poetry readings and some music performances in the 1960's. The Sons Of Champlin, Cold Blood and Country Weather played there in 1969.
Oakland Auditorium / Henry J. Kaiser AuditoriumThe Oakland Auditorium, at 10 Tenth Street in Oakland, was opened in 1913. The Auditorium was used for music events in the 1960's and 1970's. The building was refurbished in the early 1980's and reopened in 1984 as the Henry J. Kaiser Auditorium. The building has been used throughout it's lifetime for a wide range of sporting, musical and political events.
Oakland ColiseumOakland Coliseum (Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum), on Coliseum Way in Oakland, is a multi-purpose outdoor stadium which was built in the early 1960's. The stadium has been the home to major league sports teams and hosted many large scale music events.
Oakland Coliseum ArenaOakland Coliseum Arena (now the Oracle Arena), is an indoor arena adjacent to the Oakland Coliseum on Coliseum Way in Oakland. The arena, which opened in 1966 is used for sports, music and many other events.
Oakland Museum TheaterOakland Museum Theater is based in Oakland Museum at 1000 Oak Street, Oakland. For more information see the Oakland Museum website.
The Old Cheese Factory, San Francisco
The Grateful Dead played a show at The Old Cheese Factory, in San Francisco on November 12, 1966. The poster of the show gives the address of the venue as 517 Washington.
Old Waldorf, San FranciscoThe Old Waldorf was a nightclub located at 444 Battery Street. It was created in 1976 in a building that before that date had been a cafeteria. The club was run by Jeffrey Pollack between 1976 and 1980 attracting many rising rock stars. Bill Graham bought the club in 1980. The club closed in 1983.
Omni, OaklandThe Omni, on Shattuck Avenue in Oakland, was opened in 1985. The building, which was constructed in the early 1930's, was originally a social hall.
On Broadway Theater, San FranciscoOn Broadway Theater was one of many venues that have been based in 435 / 443 Broadway in San Francisco. The venue which was based upstairs in the building was a punk rock venue in the 1980's.
On The Levee, San Francisco
On The Levee was a traditional jazz club, located at 987 Embarcadero in San Francisco, which opened toward the end of 1958. The building, which had formerly been the Tin Angel, was demolished in 1962 to make way for a freeway.
Open Theater, Berkeley
The Open Theater, located at 2976 College, in Berkeley was used as a music, drama and "happenings" venue in late 1965 and early 1966.
The Orphanage, San Francisco
The Orphanage, located at 807 Montgomery in San Francisco, was a rock club in the early to mid-1970's.
Orpheum Theater, San Francisco
The Orpheum Theater at 1192 Market Street was built in 1926. It was originally The Pantages Theatre or possibly The New Pantages Theatre. For the first few years the venue was a vaudeville theater before becoming a movie theater in the 1930's. The Orpheum name was in use by at least 1931. In 1976 the theater became the home of the Civic Light Opera and occasionally from then onward the venue has hosted rock and pop concerts. In more recent years it has become a venue for travelling Broadway musicals.
Palace Of Fine Arts, San FranciscoThe Palace of Fine Arts, at 3301 Lyon in San Francisco, was built for the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition. The building was intended to exist for only a short time and was constructed from materials that were not long lasting. A proposal to rebuild the Palace with more permanent materials was made and when the expostion was dismantled the building was retained. The surrounding area became a city park. Only minor work was carried out however over the ensuing years and the building slowly disintegrated. At the start of the 1950's it was fenced off and remained unused for a number of years. Reconstruction work started in 1964 replacing the existing features with concrete castings to produce a "stripped down" version of the original building. The Palace reopened in 1967. The Theater was added in 1970. For more information see the Palace of Fine Arts website.
Paramount Theater, OaklandThe Paramount Theater, on Broadway in Oakland, opened in 1931. After closing in the early 1970's for restoration the theater became the home for the Oakland Symphony and Oakland Ballett. The Art Deco building was added to the register of National Historic Landmarks in 1977.
Pauley Ballroom, University Of California, BerkeleyThe Pauley Ballroom is in the student union building on the UC Berkeley Campus which was built in the mid-1960's. The room has been used for various types of events including musical performances. Many Bay Area groups played in the ballroom in the second half of the 1960's. The Grateful Dead performed in the Pauley Ballroom in 1966 and 1970.
Pepperland, San Rafael
Pepperland was located at 737 East Francisco Boulevard in San Rafael. Many local, national and international groups including the Steve Miller Band, Youngbloods, Cold Blood, It's A Beautiful Day, Frank Zappa and Pink Floyd played at the venue in the late 1960's. Pepperland was possibly a temporary name used by the Bemuda Palms in San Rafael or was perhaps a separate venue based on the Bermuda Palms site.
Peppermint Tree, San Francisco
Located at 660 Broadway in San Francisco the Peppermint Tree was a rock venue between 1964 and 1975. It appears that there are no official releases that include live music from the Peppermint Tree.
Petaluma Veterans Memorial Hall
Petaluma Veterans Memorial Hall is located on 1094 Petaluma Boulevard, South in Petaluma, Sonoma County. A number of Bay Area bands performed at the venue in the early 1970's and possible in the late 1960's. The venue still hosts music events.
Pioneer Ballroom, Suisin City
The Grateful Dead played at this venue in September 1966. The ballroom was on Morgan & Kellogg Streets in Suisin City.
Plush Room, San FranciscoThe Plush Room is located in the York Hotel at 940 Sutter Street. It originally opened as a nightclub in the late 1920's. For more information see the York Hotel / Plush Room website.
The Poppycock, Palo Alto
The Poppycock was a small club/bar at 135 University Avenue in Palo Alto. The venue possibly hosted local jazz groups in the mid 1960s. Rock and folk groups played at the Poppycock in 1968 and 1969.
Provo Park, BerkeleyProvo Park was the informal name adopted in the 1960's for the Berkeley park located between Martin Luther King Jr. Way (Grove Street in the 60s), Allston Way and Center Street. The park was originally called Civic Center Park or Constitution Park (sources vary). In 1983 the park was renamed Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park. Many shows, often free, were held in the park between 1966 and the early 1970's.
Purple Onion, San Francisco
The Purple Onion was opened in 1952, at 140 Columbus Avenue in San Francisco, and became a famous folk music and comedy venue in the 1950's, 1960's and onwards. In the 1990's the club became a garage rock venue. The Purple Onion closed at the end of the 1990's but reopened in the mid-2000's as a comedy club.
Questing Beast, Berkeley
The Questing Beast was short lived coffeehouse/folk club located at 2504 San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley, a building that had previously been the Cabale (or Cabale Creamery) folk club. The Questing Beast opened towards the end of 1965 and closed in May 1966. Subsequently the building was home to the Tito's and, in the 1970's, the Longbranch.
Rainbow Ballroom, Fresno
The Rainbow Ballroom is located at 1725 Broadway in Fresno. The building was completed in 1918 and was originally the Fresno Natatorium. The Rainbow Ballroom presented shows by local, national and international bands throughout the 1967 to 1972 period including performances by Santana, Big Brother & The Holding Company and Fleetwood Mac.
Rasselas Jazz Club, San FranciscoRasselas is a jazz club and bar that is currently located at 1534 Fillmore Street in San Francisco.
Red Garter, San FranciscoThe Red Garter was club on Broadway that featured traditional jazz. The club closed in 1976.
Rickshaw Stop, San FranciscoRickshaw Stop is a a music venue, nightclub, bar and restaurant located at 155 Fell Street in San Francisco. For more information see the Rickshaw Stop website.
Rio Nido Dance Hall
The Rio Nido Dance Hall, sometimes referred to as The Barn, was a wooden dance hall on the Russian River in Rio Nido. The hall was the venue for some shows by Bay Area bands in the 1960s. The Grateful Dead performed at the venue in 1967.
River City, Fairfax
River City was a rock and jazz venue in Fairfax, Marin County that was operating in the early to mid 1970's. The Jerry Garcia Band, Van Morrison and the Phil Lesh group, Touloos Ta' Truck, all performed at River City.
Rock Garden, San Francisco
The Rock Garden was a small, short-lived venue, at 4742 Mission in San Francisco, which presented rock 'n' roll and psychedelic music in 1967. The Grateful Dead performed at the venue about half a dozen times in March and April 1967.
Rollarena, San Leandro
The Rollarena was a roller-skating rink located at 15721 East 14th Street in San Leandro. The Rollarena was used for rock shows from the end of 1965 through to late 1967. Many East Bay groups appeared at the venue but it it was also used for shows by national and international groups.
Ruthie's Inn, BerkeleyRuthie's Inn, located at 2618 San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley, was a thrash metal and punk rock venue for 4 or 5 years in the middle of the 1980's.
The Saloon, San FranciscoThe Saloon, located at 1232 Grant Street on the corner of Grant and Fresno opened in 1861 as Wagner's Beer Hall. At the time of writing The Saloon features live blues bands every night of the week.
San Francisco Blues FestivalThe San Francisco Blues Festival has been held at various venues in the city since 1973.
San Francisco Civic Auditorium
The Civic Auditorium on Grove Street was built in 1914/15 for the Panama Pacific Exposition and was originally called the Exposition Hall. It has been used over the years for political conventions, award ceremonies and many musical events. In 1992 the building which was then called the San Francisco Civic Auditorium was renamed the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium.
San Francisco State College
Between 1935 and 1974 what is now SF State University was SF State College. The San Francisco Folk Festival was held at the college in 1968 and probably other years.
San Francisco Tape Music Center
The San Francisco Tape Music Center was setup up by Pauline Oliveros, Morton Subotnick and Ramon Sender in 1962. The center was originally based on Jones Street in San Francisco but in 1963 moved to 321 Divisadero Street. In 1967 the center became part of Mills College and was renamed the Mills Tape Music Center.
Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial Auditorium / Building
Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial Auditorium (also called the Memorial Building or Memorial Hall) is located at 1351 Maple Avenue in Santa Rosa. It is the largest public assembly facility in Sonoma County. The Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia Band and other Bay Area groups have performed at the venue.
Santa Venetia Armory
The Armory building in Santa Venetia, just north of San Rafael in Marin County, was used as a rock venue in the 1960's. The building, which was located at 155 Madison in Santa Venetia, was used as a venue for teen bands in the mid 1960's and then for Bay Area rock bands. The Grateful Dead performed at the venue in 1966 and 1967.
The Savoy, San Francisco
The Savoy was a short lived nightclub.
Selland Arena, Fresno
The Selland Arena is a multi-purpose arena that is part of the Fresno Convention and Entertainment Center in Fresno. The arena was built in 1966 and named in honor of a former mayor of Fresno. The arena has been used for music events since its construction. The Grateful Dead, Big Brother and the Holding Company and Country Joe & The Fish all performed there in 1968. The arena is still used for a wide range of sports, music events and other shows.
The Shady Grove, San FranciscoThe Shady Grove was a club in San Francisco that operated in the late 1970's.
Shoreline, Mountain ViewThe Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View was planned and built by Bill Graham. The venue opened in October 1986. For more information see the Shoreline website.
Silver Dollar Fairgrounds, Chico
The Armory building on the Silver Dollar Fairgrounds south of Chico was used as a rock venue in the 1960's. Many Bay Area groups performed at the venue between 1967 and 1969.
Skate Arena, Hayward
The Skate Arena at 650 A Street in Hayward was used for teen music shows in the mid-1960's. The Charlatans and Country Joe & The Fish played there in 1966.
Sleeping Lady Café, FairfaxThe Sleeping Lady Café on Bolinas Road in Fairfax was a rock and jazz venue from 1972 through to 1984. The club, whose name comes from a Native American legend, was the first vegetarian restaurant in Marin County and the first nightclub to outlaw smoking. Nearly 25 years after the closure of the Sleeping Lady Café a new venue with the name opened at 23 Broadway in Fairfax in 2008.
Slim's, San FranciscoSlim's opened in 1988. The club is located in the South of Market district of San Francisco and provides what it describes as "finest of American Roots Music - Blues, R&B, Cajun/Zydeco, Jazz, Alternative". For more information see the Slim's website.
Sokol Hall, San Francisco
The Sokol Hall, at 739 Page Street in San Francisco was used as a rock venue in 1966 and 1967. The Charlatans, the Grateful Dead and Big Brother & The Holding Company performed at the venue. The hall is now a Baptist church.
Sophie's, Palo AltoSophie's was a short lived club located at 260 California Avenue in Palo Alto. Sophie's opened in 1975 in a building that had previously housed a variety of supermarkets and a German restaurant. The club was sold at some point in 1976 and became the Keystone Palo Alto in 1977. The building was subsequently home to The Vortex, The Edge and, in the 2000's, a restaurant before being demolished in 2013.
Sound Factory, Sacramento
The Sound Factory was a short lived music venue which was based at 1817 Alhambra Boulevard in Sacramento. The club, which probably only existed during parts of 1968 and 1969, was based in a converted hardware store.
St. Michael's Alley, Palo Alto
St. Michael's Alley was coffeehouse located at 436 University Avenue in Palo Alto. It was opened by owner Vernon Gates in 1959. It was a venue for folk, jazz, plays, poetry and probably other types of performances. It was an early venue for Jerry Garcia, members of Jeferson Airplane and Joan Baez. The venue closed at the University Avenue location in 1966. Vernon Gates opened a new St. Michael's Alley, a restaurant, on Emerson Street in Palo Alto in 1973.
Starry Plough, BerkeleyThe Starry Plough is a bar, restaurant and nightclub located at 3101 Shattuck Avenue in Berkeley. The Starry Plough has been in business for over 35 years.
Steppenwolf, BerkeleySteppenwolf was a bar and folk club run by Max Scherr between 1958 and 1965. Steppenwolf was located at 2136 San Pablo Avenue.
Stern Grove, San FranciscoStern Grove was given to the city of San Francisco in 1931 by Rosalie M. Stern in memory of her husband Sigmund. Since 1938 the venue has been the home of the Stern Grove Festival, an admission-free, music, theater and dance festival.
The Stone, San FranciscoThe Stone was located at 412 Broadway which operated between 1980 and the early 1990s. The building was home to a number of clubs. In the mid-1960's it was the Moulin Rouge. In 1967 it became a supper club called Mr. D's. In the early 1970s a short lived venture The Seven Divinities was based in the building. The Matrix was briefly based at 412 Broadway after moving from the Fillmore district. Later in the 1970's the building became The Soul Train and The Hippodrome. The Stone opened in 1980 and closed in the early 1990's. Subsequently the building had a variety of uses and was for periods unused. The latest occupant is The Penthouse Club & Steakhouse.
Straight Theater / Haight Theater, San Francisco
The Haight Theater at 1702 Haight Street was a movie theater that was built in approximately 1919. The theater closed in 1964. The building was converted from a movie theater to a dance hall during 1966 and 1967 and opened, as the Straight Theater, in the Summer of 1967. Many of the major Bay Area groups, including the Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother and The Holding Company and Country Joe and The Fish played during the opening week. The theater was also used for dance, theater and poetry events. The Straight closed in April 1969.
Sugar Hill, San Francisco
Sugar Hill was a blues club opened by Barbabra Dane sometime in the 1950's. The club is celebrated in a song by Lonnie Johnson, Fine Booze and Heavy Dues.
The Sweat Shop, San FranciscoThe Sweat Shop is located at 1943 Mission Street in San Francisco.
Sweetwater, Mill ValleySweetwater was a small bar located at 153 Throckmorton Avenue in Mill Valley that became a popular music venue when it was taken over by Jeanie and Jay Patterson in the late 1970's. New owners took over in 1998 and continued the music focus of the bar. The Sweetwater closed in 2007. A new Sweetwater, with new owners opened on Corte Madera Avenue in 2012.
The Tangent, Palo Alto
The Tangent was located on The Circle, off University Avenue, in Palo Alto. The Tangent was a beer and pizza bar with an upstairs room called the Top Of The Tangent which was a folk music venue during the early and mid-1960's. The 1964 recording of Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions which was released in 1998 was recorded at the Tangent. The venue possibly became The Poppycock in the early 1970's.
Theatre 1839, San FranciscoThis building on Geary (possibly at 1839 Geary) in San Francisco had at one time been a baptist church and the Old Geary Theatre. It was used by Bill Graham as a music venue in the late 1970's.
The Tin Angel, San FranciscoThe Tin Angel, which was located at 987 Embarcadero in the 1950's, was primarily a folk club. In the 1960's the club became On The Levee and featured traditional jazz.
Tito's was venue used by local bands located at 2504 San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley. The building had a long history as a music venue. It housed the Cabale Creamery and The Questing Beast, among others, before becoming Tito's sometime in 1967. After Tito's closed in 1969 the building became the Longbranch.
The Trident, SausalitoThe Trident was a restaurant and jazz venue at 558 Bridgeway on the waterfront in Sausalito. The Trident opened in 1961 and closed in 1980. The building is still a restaurant.
The Trip Room, Sacramento
The Trip Room was based in Native Sons Hall at 924 Eleventh Street in Sacramento. The venue featured mainly local groups. The Trip Room was a short-lived venture, possibly operating in 1966 and 1967.
Tsubo's Club, BerkeleyTsubo's, located on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley, was a coffee house/jazz club in (probably) the late 1950's and early 1960's. It became the Jabberwock in 1963.
Tuva Space, BerkeleyTuva Space was opened in the 1990's in a property that had been an antique store at 3192 Adeline in Berkeley. It was a leading jazz and underground music venue. The property changed hands at the start of 2003 and became The Jazz House.
Uncle Charlie's, Corte MaderaUncle Charlie's was a bar/music venue in Corte Madera that operated in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
Varni's Roaring 20's, San Francisco
Varni's Roaring 20's was a nightclub at 807 Montgomery in the North Beach area of San Francisco. The Charlatans played a residency here toward the end of 1967.
Venue 9, San FranciscoVenue 9 was located at 252 Ninth Street in San Francisco. The building is now the Footloose Dance Company and Shotwell Studios.
War Memorial Opera House, San FranciscoThe San Francisco War Memorial Opera House is part of the San Francisco War Memorial and Performing Arts Center. The Opera House, which is located at 301 Van Ness Avenue at Grove Street, was built in 1932 and is home to the San Francisco Opera and San Francisco Ballet.
Warfield Theater, San FranciscoThe Warfield Theater, which is the ground floor of a large office building at 982 Market Street, opened in 1922 as a vaudeville and movie theater. Bill Graham started to produce music shows at the theater in 1979. Since then it has become a regular venue for music, comedy and other performance shows.
Western Front, San Francisco
The Western Front was a dance hall located at 896 O'Farrell Street in San Francisco. Many Bay Area groups performed at the Western Front in 1966 and 1967. Surviving posters document performances by the Charlatans, Frumious Bandersnatch, Morning Glory, Indian Head Band, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Sons of Champlin and Blue Cheer.
Wheeler Auditorium, BerkeleyThe Wheeler Auditorium is located in Wheeler Hall on the campus of University of California, Berkeley. The auditorium has a capacity of around 700 people and is primarily used for university events.
Winchester Cathedral, Redwood City
Winchester Cathedral was a music venue located on El Camino Real in Redwood City. It opened in the mid-1960s after previously being a club with a different name. Winchester Cathedral was one of the early regular venues for Sly & The Family Stone and also presented many other local groups including Santana and the Chocolate Watchband.
Winterland, San FranciscoWinterland was built in the late 1920's on Post and Steiner Streets, the site of Grauman's Unique Theater which was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake. The building, originally called the New Dreamland Rink, was an ice rink and was used as a venue for a variety of performances including ice shows, boxing matches and opera. The Winterland name was introduced in the 1940's. Bill Graham first used the venue for rock shows in late 1966. It became the major rock venue in San Francisco after the closing of Fillmore West in 1971 and throughout the 1970's hosted many memorable shows. Winterland closed in 1978 after becoming too decayed and costly to maintain. The building was demolished in 1985.
Wolfgang's, San FranciscoWolfgang's was opened at 901 Columbus Avenue by Bill Graham in 1983. It quickly became one of the top rock venues in the city. The club closed after a fire in the Summer of 1987. The building on Columbus Avenue was completed in 1923 and was originally a nightclub called the Lido Lounge. In the 1940's and 1950's the venue was a dance and jazz club called The Italian Village, subsequently shoertened to The Village. In the early 1980's the building was the brief base for the relocated Boarding House. Subsequently in the 1980's it became Bal Tabarin before becoming Wofgang's. After Wolfgang's closed the club reopened in 1990 as the 7th Note jazz club. In 2003 it became Cobb's Comedy Club.
The Yellow Brick Road, Fremont
The Yellow Brick Road was a teen rock venue located at 37266 Niles Boulevard in Fremont. The venue which probably only operated during 1967 was used by many Bay Area bands.
The Yellow Room, OaklandThe Yellow Room, at 2424 East 11th Street in Oakland, was a jazz venue in the late 1990's.
Yoshi's, OaklandYoshi's is a Bay Area jazz club that has been located at a number of venues over the years. Yoshi's moved to it's current location, at Jack London Square in Oakland, in 1997. For more information see the Yoshi's website.
Zellerbach Auditorium, BerkeleyThe Zellerbach Auditorium is on the University of California, Berkeley campus.
Unknown VenueThe albums collected in this section were recorded live in the Bay Area. Any information about the exact venues for these recordings is welcome. It would be good to be able to move them out of this section.
Last updated August 2022